I don’t really like fish…or seafood in general…
I know, I’m kinda weird like that.
But it just doesn’t appeal to me.
Yet I absolutely love sushi rolls….
Which contains quite a bit of raw fish in ’em….
I’m full of contradictions…
Anyways, salmon is one of the few fish I enjoy eating.
It has a pretty mild taste (it’s not too fishy!) and it goes ahhmazingly well with butter, lemon, and a little bit of red chilli flakes for heat!
Everything is better with butter!
Serve with some parmesan pumpkin risotto(recipe coming tomorrow!) and you have an impressive dinner that was actually pretty easy to make 🙂
When cooking salmon here are a few tips!
* Use oil and butter! The oil has a higher burning point than butter so it will prevent the butter from burning before your fish has been fully cooked!
* Preheat the oil+butter on medium-high heat then add the fish and reduce the heat immediately to medium-low! That will give your salmon a crunchy skin and because you are cooking it nice and slow you’ll have more control of how done you want your fish.
*Always start your salmon skin side down! Nothing is better than crunchy skin!
* Cook your salmon medium-rare – perfect!
* If your fish is sticking to the pan, just let it cook a little longer! If it’s not ready to be flipped then don’t force it to 🙂 Just give it a minute longer to cook!
* For medium rare cook your fish 6mins skin side down, then flip and cook for about 60-90sec longer.
Comments: I don’t particularly care for fish but this is really good! The lemon flavor is nice and refreshing and it’s a super easy dish that will impress dinner guests!
Will I make it again? Sure
Pan Seared Salmon in Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 salmon fillets, skin on (6oz each)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- juice of half a lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
In a pan over medium high heat, melt the butter with oil and let it get hot.
In a bowl, combine the salt, lemon pepper, chilli flakes, garlic powder and thyme. Rub the mixture all over the salmon.
Add the salmon(skin side down) to the pan, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 6mins. Flip and cook for about 60-90secs longer or until medium rare.
In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the lemon juice and zest and cook on low heat for a few mins until the sauce has thickened a little.
Serve the salmon immediately with the sauce and some chopped parsley.