You guys know I’m like totally obsessed with spicy food right?
Well this is pretty darn spicy.
Spicy enough that you should have a glass of milk while eating it.
But not so spicy that your mouth will be on fire and you’ll start crying.
You can of course adjust the heat level to your liking, but why mess with perfection 🙂
This is really a great weeknight meal, it only takes 30mins to make and the flavors and spice will blow.your.mind!
So it all starts with jalapeno, spicy and delish.
Then we add some corn to the mix to add a little sweetness.
Then we have the chicken and well who doesn’t love chicken?!
To make it a chili in my opinion you have to I repeat HAVE to have beans. So we used kidney beans.
And then we have bacon. Glorious, greasy sinfully delicious bacon.
Or if you are on a diet or you’re trying to be healthy you can use turkey bacon. But why would you want to do that!?
And then we top it all with some cheddar cheese.
And there you have it a big bowl of awesomeness.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chili
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, diced small membranes and seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 10oz diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 15oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup fat-free skim evaporated milk
- 1 cup skim milk
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (can use turkey bacon!)
- serve with grated cheddar
- In a dutch oven, heat 2tbsp oil over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and jalapeno until softened (about 5 mins).
- Add the garlic and cook for 30sec.
- Add 1tbsp oil to the pot.
- Season the diced chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pot.
- Cook until chicken is browned(not cooked through) on all sides.
- Add chile powder, cumin, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, beans, tomatoes, chicken broth and corn.
- Bring to a simmer, than cover and simmer for 30mins.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the evaporated milk and skim milk.
- Stir in half the bacon.
- Serve with remaining bacon on top and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
Adapted from: SweetTreats&More