Hope everyone had a fabulous Valentine’s day 🙂
Sorry I haven’t been on in like 10 days but I just haven’t been feeling like blogging lately.
It’s not that I don’t have material to share, I certainly do.
I just haven’t been feeling like writing it all down.
But it’s time to get back to it 🙂
SO here we have deconstructed chicken pot pie 🙂
This recipe is super easy to make, like OMG ridiculously easy and soo very tasty!
And instead of using pie dough I used biscuits. Why? Because I hate pie dough! I’ve had a handful of terrifying experiences with it and since I’m not ready to face my fears yet I just try to avoid it as much as possible.
I had some leftover honey biscuits from when I made the beef stew so I decided to use them in this and it definitely turned out fab!
The filling is creamy and rich, with lots of chicken (yum!), peas and I love the addition of corn, top it with a honey biscuit and you have a perfect weekday meal straight from Comfortown 🙂
Deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 baby carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4 Grands! honey biscuits
- serve: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a pot over medium high heat, add the EVOO.
- Once hot add the onion and carrots.
- Cook until softened and onions are translucent about 5 mins.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 secs.
- Remove to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add butter.
- Once melted, stir in the flour.
- Cook for 1 min, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the milk, broth and basil and continue whisking to break up any lumps.
- Let the sauce simmer and thicken (about 1-2 mins).
- Turn the heat off and add in the vegetables, chicken, peas and carrots.
- If the filling is too thick add in a little more chicken broth.
- Spray a 2qt baking dish with cooking spray.
- transfer the filling to the baking dish and top with the biscuits.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through*.
- Serve with chopped parsley.
*Check the package directions on the biscuits you are using to check for cooking time and temperatures.