Corn, Bacon and Cheese Chowder
This is my absolutely favorite chowder! There is just something so comforting about it and it has all of my favorite food groups in it. Corn, Bacon and cheese! But seriously how can you go wrong with this combination?
Is it fall yet? It’s over 110 degrees in Las Vegas and I am kind of over the heat. I keep telling my husband I’m selling the house and moving to Hawaii. But then he reminded me that humidity is not my friend so I guess I’m staying put.
But on a rare cloudy day here, I decided to pretend that it’s fall and make soup. This is one of my husband’s favorite soups! And that says a lot because he is not a soup guy. At all. To him a soup is an appetizer, not a main. But this soup is definitely worth being the star of the meal.
How to make this soup:
First you want to melt some butter in a pot over medium heat. Then you add diced onion and let it soften. There is just something magical about cooking things in butter. Then you add your diced pepper and bacon and let the pepper soften. Stir in corn. Then you stir in some flour. Add in your chicken broth and let this thicken for a few minutes. Add in half and half. Let that come to a boil then simmer covered for 15 minutes. Stir in all of the glorious cheese and green onions and let it melt. Taste, add salt and pepper as needed.
Can I use fresh corn?
So in this recipe I used frozen corn because that is what I had on hand. But you can absolutely use fresh corn! Just cut off the cob and add to the step instead of the frozen corn.
Can I use different cheese?
In this recipe I used Pepper Jack and cheddar. But you can use all cheddar if you like, colby and monterey jack would work fine as well. Even adding in some Velveeta should work fine.
Can I freeze this soup?
I love freezing all kind of different meals including soups, but just not this one. Since it is a dairy/cheese based soup it can separate once thawed. Because of that I would not recommend freezing it.
Stay tuned because next week I’ll be posting the recipe to the Cheddar Garlic biscuits pictured along with this soup. And together they are basically match made in Haven.
Corn, Bacon & Cheese Chowder
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped
- In a pot over medium high heat, melt butter.
- Add diced onion and let it soften.
- Add pepper and bacon and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add corn and let it cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle flour over top and stir well to combine.
- Stir in chicken broth and cook for a couple of minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in half and half, cover with lid, reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15 mins.
- Stir in cheeses and green onions and let cheese melt.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Other Soups You Might Enjoy:
For how to cook your bacon in the oven check out my instructions in this recipe.