These delicious banana muffins are loaded with chocolate chips and coconut making them the perfect indulgent breakfast treat!
It’s the first day of school today for my kids and it has me filled with all kind of emotions. Logan has been going to preschool for 2 years now and is starting Pre-kinder. Connor (3) on the other hand has never been in a preschool environment before so to him it’s all fun and very exciting but I’m kind of feeling like an empty nester. Which is silly considering he will only be going 3 days a week. It’s hard to let go sometime and let them be independent but I’m working on it.
Anyway, breakfast is always a rush in my house and especially now with school starting. But these banana chocolate chip coconut muffins are a fantastic breakfast option to grab on a busy morning! And the perfect treat to go with your morning cup of coffee.
Banana muffins are also my kids favorite kind of muffin and by far the most requested. Especially when you add chocolate chips and coconut into the equation, I mean what’s not to love about that?
How to make these banana chocolate chip muffins:
Get some butter and set it out on your counter to soften and come to room temp. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners. In a bowl with a hand mixer (or using your electric mixer) beat the softened butter, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs, vanilla extract and some sour cream until combined.
In a separate large bowl, combine flour, baking power, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, beating on low until just combined. Stir in mashed banana and 1 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 cup coconut flakes.
Pour batter in prepared muffin tins filling liners 3/4 full. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and coconut on top. Lick the bowl clean because this is the fluffiest, creamiest and most delicious muffin batter! My kids sometimes ask if we can just make these for the batter alone.
Bake for 18-20 mins at 375F or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
For mini banana muffins: I often make a full batch of this recipe and bake batter into 12 regular size muffins and 24 mini muffins. Mini muffins are perfect for kids as they tend to actually finish them! Just make sure you bake your mini banana muffins for about 12-14 minutes.
For banana coconut bread: Pour batter into 2 greased 9×5 loaf pans and bake for 45-55 minutes. Cover with foil half way through baking to prevent your banana bread from browning too much.
To freeze: These banana chocolate chip coconut muffins are a great freezer friendly option! Place muffins on an aluminum foil covered sheet pan and freeze for 1 hour. Transfer muffins to a large freezer zip lock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. I just microwave them for about 30 seconds to defrost when the craving hits.
Banana Chocolate Coconut Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed about 1 1/4 cups
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes divided use
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips divided use
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line two muffins tins with paper liners.
- In a bowl with hand mixer, beat the butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla and sour cream until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir with a spatula.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing on low until just combined.
- Stir in mashed banana, 1 cup of chocolate chips and 3/4 cup coconut flakes.
- Pour batter in muffins tins until 3/4 full. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and coconut flakes on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks I Heart Nap Time
Other delicious muffins recipes: