These banana out chocolate chips cookies are the best way to use up one ripe banana! These cookies are chewy and delicious and since they have banana and oats in them I mean they are practically breakfast food!
I always have bananas on my counter because my kids typically love them. But every now and then they decide that bananas are no longer they are favorite fruit so I end up with a bunch of ripe bananas to figure out what to make with!
You can put it in your blender and make a smoothie or you know bake these cookies. I personally know what my vote is! Cookies any day.
How to make Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies:
This recipe is fairly easy and there is no chilling time. Which means they will be ready in less than 30 mins! In a bowl you whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, quick oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl with your hand mixer (or you electric mixer) beat banana, softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Beat in egg, vanilla and lemon juice. On low speed slowly add in dry ingredients to wet and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Scoop cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 10-12 mins.
How to Ripen Bananas Faster:
If you don’t have any ripe bananas but you still would like to make these cookies you can help your bananas ripen in the oven! Just preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place whole un peeled bananas on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15-30 mins. Make sure you pay close attention as oven times can vary and the bananas are ready when the peel in black and shiny.
What chocolate to use in these banana cookies?
I used semi sweet chocolate to make these cookies. You can use milk or dark chocolate and either will work wonderfully!
Can I use old fashioned oats?
These banana oat chocolate chip cookies are made with quick oats and I love the texture! They are chewy but also kind of cakey and soft. I haven’t tested the recipe with old fashined oats, I’m pretty sure that it would be fine but the texture will probably be different.
Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp quick oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large banana please measure)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), combine mashed banana, butter, white and brown sugars.
- Add in egg, vanilla and lemon juice and beat to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Scoop cookies using medium cookie scoop (about 2 tbsp) on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until set, but still slightly soft.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.