This cheesy chicken enchilada soup is perfect for fall! All the flavors of chicken enchiladas but in one bowl and ready in 30 minutes! Loaded with chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers and plenty of cheese this soup will have you coming back for seconds!
Fall is my favorite season and even though it hasn’t quite reached Las Vegas yet, I’m so ready for it! Nothing screams fall more to me than a bowl of comforting, warm and delicious soup. Step aside pumpkin spice latte, but I’d rather eat soup! Enchiladas are one of my favorite meals (any time of year) so this soup is sure to be a winner in my book and I hope in yours too!
I’ve mentioned it before, but my husband is not a big soup guy. But this soup he will eat over and over again! It is creamy and cheesy, it also reheats beautifully and almost tastes better the next day!
Can you freeze this cheesy chicken enchilada soup?
This chicken enchilada soup can be frozen! Just place leftover soup in a freezer ziplock bag and lay it flat in your freezer! I love this method because it really saves space in my freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months.
What kind of cheese can I use in this soup?
You need cream cheese and shredded mozzarella. The cream cheese I would not substitute since it adds the perfect amount of creaminess to the soup. But the mozzarella you can definitely swap out! I would use any Mexican blend cheese, Colby jack, shredded white cheddar or pepper jack cheese! So lots of options here. If you can grate your own cheese, it is worth the extra step! Freshly grated cheese just melts so much better!
How to cook chicken?
For this soup you need already cooked chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken or do as I did and cook some chicken in the slow cooker! I just placed 2 chicken breasts in my crock pot, seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked for 6 hours on LOW. Then just chop your chicken and you are ready to make this soup!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce (1 can)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 15 oz black beans drained (1 can)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and peppers and cook until softened.
- Add enchilada sauce and cream cheese. Break up cream cheese with a wooden spoon and cook until melted and smooth.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, black beans and corn.
- Stir in chopped chicken and chicken broth.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and cook for about 15 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until the soup is heated through. Do not boil as this will make the cream cheese curdle.
- Turn the heat off and stir in green onions and cheese. Let the cheese melt then taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. If the soup is too thick add a little chicken broth as needed.
For more soup recipes check out my favorite Corn, Bacon and Cheese Chowder