This recipe for Kahlua Caramel Mascarpone Dip is my new favorite thing to dip apples in! It’s decadent and sweet with a touch of coffee flavor from the Kahlua and goes perfectly with tart green apples for dipping!
I made this dip for my most recent wine club, I mean book club meeting and it was a definite winner! It’s borderline addicting and it will keep you coming back for more. This dip is actually really easy to make but it also looks pretty impressive making it perfect for any potluck! You almost feel healthy eating it because you know you are eating fruit. But let’s not kid ourselves here this is definitely in the treat category.
What makes this recipe for Kahlua caramel dip so special?
This dip is made out of a three different layers. First you start with the mascarpone part. It is only 3 ingredients: mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. This can pretty much stand on it’s own, just give me a cracker and I’m all set. But let’s take it a step further by making homemade Kahlua caramel sauce. This caramel sauce is perfection and I will happily drown in it. Years ago homemade caramel felt so intimidating to me, but trust me it’s much easier than you might think! And it tastes so much better than the store bought stuff!
This recipe makes for more caramel than you will need. So you will have leftover caramel sauce, but you’ll be glad you did! It’s perfect over ice cream or you can save it in the fridge until you are ready to make this caramel dip again. And yes you will absolutely want to make it again! Then the final layer is chopped cashews. You can use chopped peanuts instead basically you just want some crunch to compliment all the creamy deliciousness of the bottom two layers.
This is one treat, I felt selfish and almost didn’t want to share! It’s THAT good.
Kahlua Caramel Mascarpone Apple Dip
Kahlua Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Kahlua
- 1/4 cup butter salted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Kahlua Caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews chopped
- 3 whole granny smith apples sliced
- pinch of cinnamon
For Kahlua Caramel Sauce
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, combine all ingredients. Whisk until butter is all melted and mixture begins to bubble. Once bubbling, continue to cook for 5-6 minutes whisking occasionally until the caramel thickens slightly and the mixture is smooth. Take off the heat, it will continue to thicken while caramel cools.
- While caramel sauce is cooling, combine the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. Spread on a serving plate and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- The caramel should be at room tempeture by that point so pour 1/2 cup of caramel over mascarpone dip. Place back in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle chopped cashews over caramel layer and serve with sliced apples. Drizzle more caramel on top if desired and sprinkle apples with a little cinnamon. Serve immediately.