These incredible BBQ chicken wings are the perfect game day snack! They are extremely crispy without any frying, all baked in the oven!
I was never much of a chicken wings kind of person until my trip to Sandals Grande Antigua. The pub there had the most incredible chicken wings! The sauce was so rich and the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. And the wings themselves were super crispy, crunchy yet moist. I fell so in love with wings during that trip that we had to order them every night as a late night snack. Ever since we’ve been back, I just couldn’t stop thinking of them and had to try to make some at home. I haven’t been able to nail the sauce itself yet, but I found a way to get the wings just as crispy, moist and delicious (as the ones from Sandals) but without any frying. Because let’s face it frying stuff kind of terrifies me.
How to make BBQ Chicken Wings Baked in the Oven?
So to make BBQ chicken wings in the oven, first you will want to make sure your wings are very dry. Use paper towels and pat any moisture. Preheat oven to to 250F. That’s right we bake the chicken wings low and slow at first to render the fat. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (this helps with clean up, but I was all out at the time) and then top that with oven safe rack. I use 2 cookie cooling racks for this. Spray the racks with cooking spray to prevent them from sticking. Then we start working on the chicken wings. Combine aluminum free baking powder (NOT baking soda) and salt in a small bowl and add to the chicken wings. Stir to coat them all and then place the chicken wings on the oven rack.
Bake them in the oven for 30 mins.
After that crank up the heat to 425F and let them cook until brown and CRISPY for 40-50 minutes.
Then just let them cool for 5 mins and toss in your favorite BBQ Sauce. My favorite sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s so delicious!
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2.5 lb chicken wings
- 1 tbsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place oven safe baking rack on the baking sheet. Spray baking racks with non stick cooking spray.
- Pat dry the chicken wings with a paper towel.
- In a bowl combine chicken wings, baking powder and salt.
- Place chicken wings in single layer on the baking rack.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Keep the wings in the oven and raise the temperature to 425F. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Let the chicken wings cool for 5 minutes then toss in your favorite BBQ sauce.