Chicken & Bacon Pot Pie with Cheddar Bacon Biscuits is the ultimate comfort food meal! The pot pie filling is creamy and delicious and packed with diced chicken, crispy bacon and veggies and don’t even get me started on the biscuits! Flaky perfection stuffed with bacon and cheddar, yes please!
This is day I don’t even know what of quarantine and I think at this point we all need some comfort during these crazy times! One of my favorite comfort foods by far is chicken pot pie. This is a staple pantry meal on our home with ingredients I always typically have on hand! I mean cheddar cheese and bacon are basically considered essentials around here! So while we are quarantined to our homes for the next several days (or weeks) I hope this chicken pot pie recipe will bring some comfort to your day!
How to make this Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits?
This recipe for chicken pot pie with biscuits might seem a little intimidating based on number of steps but they are all quite simple! You need already pre cooked bacon and chicken so this is a great way to use leftover bacon from breakfast or rotisserie chicken if you have it!
First thing you will need to preheat the oven to 400F. Then in a deep skillet over medium heat saute chopped onion in olive oil until translucent. Then add some garlic and frozen veggies I used a combination of carrots and peas. Let them cook and soften for a couple of minutes then add in the chicken, cooked bacon and season with salt and pepper. Pour the filling in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Now it’s time to make a sauce! In the same skillet over medium heat melt some butter. This to me is one of the most magical thing, nothing beats the smell and light bubbling of butter! Whisk in some flour and cook for about one minute. We are making the roux and gently cooking out the flour flavor. Then slowly pour in your chicken broth and whisk, whisk, whisk to incorporate! Let this simmer and get thick. We are looking for a heavy cream consistency but not overly thick! Then stir in your heavy cream and cook for one more minute. Season with salt and pepper and pour this over your chicken/veggies in the baking dish.
Next we make our biscuits! In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Next add in small cubes of COLD butter. I can not emphasize the word cold enough! You want cold butter for perfectly flaky biscuits that keep their shape. So after I cut my butter I stick it back in the fridge until I’m ready to use it. Once you add in your butter you will need a pastry cutter or your hands to incorporate the butter with the flour. Add in your bacon and shredded cheddar. Then slowly pour in your buttermilk and stir with a spatula until the dough forms. You want the dough to be slightly sticky but not overly wet so add a little more flour or buttermilk ( tsp at time) until desired consistency is reached. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut out 9 biscuits.
Place the biscuits on top of your chicken mixture and place in the oven for 20-25 mins. If your biscuits start to get brown too soon cover with foil. Mine took 23 minutes and I didn’t need to cover them but just be mindful that every over is different. Once your busicuits are out of the oven you want to brush them with some melted butter and get ready for a perfect comfort meal!
How to cook chicken for Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits?
If you don’t have cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken on hand you can easily make some at home. One of my favorite methods is using the slow cooker. Just season two large chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker on low for 6 hours or HIGH for 3.5 hours. Then place on a cutting board and allow to cool and either shred the chicken with two forks or dice up.
You can also place the chicken in the oven at 350F and cook for 25-30 mins or until cooked through.
How to cook bacon?
In this recipe I used already pre cooked bacon I had leftover but if you have fresh uncooked bacon, no problem! Just cook the bacon first in the same deep skillet you will be cooking your veggies in and then remove to a paper towel lined plate and discard most of the fat. You can leave about a tsp of fat to cook your onions in, talk about amazing flavor!
Can this recipe be made ahead?
You can make the filling for this chicken pot pie recipe ahead of time! Place it in a baking dish, cover with cling wrap or foil and store in the fridge. Then prepare biscuits right before baking.
Chicken & Bacon Pot Pie with Cheddar Bacon Biscuits
For the chicken pot pie filling:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen carrots and peas
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 6 slices cooked bacon chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour all purpose
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
For the cheddar bacon biscuits:
- 3 slices cooked bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 cups flour all purpose
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp COLD butter cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp butter melted
For the filling:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a deep skillet, over medium high heat cook onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic, carrots and peas and cook until they soften.
- Add in cooked chicken and bacon and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper then pour the chicken mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for a minute.
- Whisk in slowly the chicken broth and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in heavy cream and cook for another minute. Pour this sauce over top of your chicken mixture.
For the biscuits:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in cold butter and using your fingers or a pastry blender break up the butter until it is very fine and incorporated with the flour.
- Add the shredded cheddar and bacon and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the buttermilk and mix gently until the dough comes together. You want the dough to be a little sticky but not too wet. Add a teaspoon of buttermilk or flour if your dough is too dry or wet until desired consistency is reached.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly flour surface until it's about 1/3 in thick. Cut out 9 biscuits using a 3 in round cookie cutter.
- Place the biscuits on top of your chicken filling.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until bubbly and biscuits are starting to brown. If your biscuits are browning too quickly, cover with foil.
- Brush melted butter over biscuits once they are out of the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Here is another recipe for Deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie that you will also love!