This easy turkey crockpot chili with beans and corn is the perfect recipe for a cold rainy day! It is packed with flavor from all the delicious spices and made easier than ever in the crockpot.
Chili is absolutely one of my favorite cold weather dishes! It is hearty and a little spicy and practically warms up my soul! I really like making it in the crockpot, set it in the morning and then come home to a dish that has been simmering for hours it just adds soo much flavor! Not to mention it makes your house smell insanely delicious all day while it cooks.
How to make turkey chili in the crockpot?
- Fully cook your ground turkey breaking it up in pieces as it cooks! You can do this in a skillet over medium high heat or if your crockpot has a brown/saute setting that would make this even easier and you don’t have to dirty up another pan.
- Add your ground turkey to the crockpot.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, black beans, frozen corn, chopped onion and beef broth (or wine or dark beer) to the crockpot.
- Then add in all of your spices! I would consider this a pretty mild to medium spice level. I use a mix of chili powder, ground cumin, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes (this last one is optional).
- Stir, then close the lid and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Taste, adjust seasoning to your liking and top with your favorite toppings!
Toppings for Turkey Chili:
My favorite toppings are shredded cheddar cheese, green onion, sour cream and Fritos (chili cheese yess please). Other toppings that will be delicious are chopped bell pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, black olives and even shredded lettuce. I would love to hear in the comments what your favorite toppings are!
What kind of beans to use in this chili?
Any Texan will tell you that chili shouldn’t have beans but I disagree! I love them. It truly makes this dish so hearty! So say yes to beans. Red or white kidney and black beans are typically my go to! Also a good option is pinto beans! Most stores sell chili beans which are pinto beans in mild chili spiced sauce those will do in a pinch but I prefer having full control over my spices. Also another debate is whether you should rinse your beans. I drain them but do not rinse. My mother in law makes amazing chili and that’s something I got from her but if you prefer to rinse them go for it! I’ve made it both ways and I prefer not rinsing them for chili.
Can you freeze chili?
This is the perfect freezer recipe! Just place leftover chili in a large freezer zippered plastic bag, lay it flat and freeze! This can be frozen for up to 6 months. To defrost place in the refrigerator overnight or run under cold water in the sink. Then microwave to heat through once thawed out.
Can you make this on the stove?
Yes, if you don’t have a crockpot but still want to make this you can cook it in a large pot (or dutch oven). Brown the turkey in the pot and then add all the other ingredients in and simmer covered on LOW heat for 2 hours.
Can I use a different meat instead of turkey?
So for this recipe I used ground turkey, but feel free to use ground beef, chicken or even ground venison!
Easy Turkey Crockpot Chili with Beans & Corn
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 cup beef broth wine or dark beer are good as well
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 whole bay leaf
- Optional Toppings for Serving: shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped green onions and Fritos chili beans.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, brown ground turkey breaking it up in pieces as it cooks. You can also do this in your crockpot if it has a brown/saute setting.
- Add ground turkey to the crockpot.
- Add in all remaining ingredients and spices, cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Serve with optional toppings.