This ravioli in cream sauce with bacon and asparagus is the perfect dish for spring! It is absolutely delicious and takes only 15 minutes to make, perfect for those busy nights.
This has to be one of my husband’s favorite meals! I mean what’s not to love cheese stuffed pasta, asparagus, BACON all swimming in Parmesan cream sauce. Just simply delicious! The best part is that its easy and quick to make and most of it is all done in one pan (except for boiling the pasta).
How to make this ravioli in cream sauce
- Cook ravioli according to package instructions.
- In a large saucepan cook asparagus in a little bit of olive oil for 4 minutes over medium high heat
- Add in onions, garlic, peas and cooked chopped bacon and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper the vegetables.
- Add in the heavy cream and bring to a low boil.
- Stir in the freshly grated Parmesan, turn the heat down to low and let the cheese melt and sauce thicken.
- Add the cooked ravioli to the sauce and stir gently.
- Serve immediately with extra parietal cheese on top.
Why should you use freshly grated Parmesan for cream sauce?
For this recipe I recommend grating your own Parmesan cheese because this is how you will get a perfectly smooth sauce. Pre grated cheese that you buy in the store often has preservatives to keep the shreds from clumping in the bag. This also means that it doesn’t melt as well in sauces. Grating your own Parmesan is an extra step, but one I highly recommend!
Can this ravioli be made ahead or frozen?
This recipe is best enjoyed immediately after making and I would not recommend making ahead of time. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. This recipe would not be good frozen since it is a cream based sauce it can separate if frozen.
What kind of ravioli to use?
For this recipe I used mini cheese ravioli but pretty much any kind will work great! Mushroom, four cheese or even butternut squash!
Notes of Bacon:
I always have cooked bacon on hand since I make large batches in the oven , but if you don’t have cooked bacon, chop raw bacon and cook it in the same pan you plan on making the sauce in. Once cooked, removed bacon to a plate lined with paper towel and drain most of the fat leaving in 1 tsp of bacon fat. Cook your asparagus in this fat! So much flavor!
Ravioli in cream sauce with bacon
- 12 oz ravioli I used mini cheese ravioli
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1/3 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup peas frozen
- 5 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan, cook asparagus in olive oil over medium high heat for 4 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, peas and bacon and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Add in heavy cream and bring to a low boil.
- Add in Parmesan cheese, turn the heat down to low, stir to melt and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Add in cooked ravioli to sauce and stir to combine.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately with extra Parmesan cheese.